1. Describe the methods you have used to train employees on how to deliver and increase customer service to a diverse clientele with various ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
First of all, we understand that all human beings have similar goals. Yet, it is often their methods of obtaining these goals that either increase conflict or create a misunderstanding of the motivation of certain behaviors. So by focusing on the needs, desires, and goals of the customer, we can encourage people to extend gratitude, respect, and honor to them.
2. How do you recognize different ways in which someone may be insensitive, inappropriate or offensive to individuals?
We believe that people truly do the best they can with the resources, education, and environment they have been exposed to. With that in mind, we welcome discussion, dissension, and free thought that help us all expand how we see the world and increase individuals’ goal focused performance.
3. Describe your philosophy of cultural competence and what steps you recommend for employers to take to ensure their employees maintain cultural competence.
Cultural competence begins with understanding one's own culture. It is interesting that many American's have not read the Constitution, are not familiar with Declaration of Independence, and have little idea of the protections of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. All that said, it is clear that people have different methods of obtaining their goals that we must analyze and take into account. There must be a balance of looking in and looking out, knowing our immigration stories and being open to other’s having theirs.
4. Discuss bias, stereotypes, and prejudice and describe how your training addresses these challenges in a work environment.
The awful truth is that people are allowed to be biased, hold prejudices, and operate with stereotypes. There are no laws that prevent those states of being. However, it is illegal to discriminate against others. What we know is that bias, prejudices, and stereotypes build, and the ultimate result is discrimination. We work with people to challenge their perceptions, assumptions, and world view to ultimately eliminate decimation in the workplace.
5. How do you demonstrate and teach techniques to reduce conflicts on diverse teams?
We help folks by asking a simple question, "Did the consumer receive dignity, honor, respect in that interaction?" This question seems simple but with closer examination we begin to see that the reduction of conflict is directly related to the emotional impression that is created in each of our interactions. We teach employees to be intentional until it becomes habitual.
6. Discuss your ideas for encouraging creativity, flexibility, and innovation from a diverse mix of peers.
We believe that people have to answer to and understand their own problems first. So, we create experimental activities, simulations and improvisational techniques to explore the dynamics of diversity and the empower individuals to play and become free thinkers.
7. What are your methods of sharing one’s own perspective to those of diverse backgrounds?
Many of the stories that are shared in the presentations are allegories or fables used to demonstrate techniques that I have personally learned from. Key concepts will be repeated no matter the content to demonstrate the gravity of the core concepts. This means that if you attend more than one of my sessions, you might hear the same story or joke more that once.
Andre's purpose is to reconnect people to their Dignity and Honor in Being Human.